About The Portage Lego Fire Department
The Portage Lego Fire Department was chartered on December 9, 1923 to protect the town of portage and citizens of portage. At this time the department was a volunteer department. The department responded out of one station from 1923-1928 when the town expanded. The department seen it fit to have another station built on the other side of town. As time passed on the town grew even more and turned into a city from a small town. As this transition happened 4 more fire stations were opened throughout the city. When the town became a city the city approached the Portage Lego Fire Department to have them placed on the payroll thus ending the volunteer services in 1968. There have been many apparatus that has come and gone from 1923 to present day. The very first piece of apparatus the department owned was a 1923 seagrave pumper. In 1929 when Station 2 opened up a brand new Seagrave pumper was purchased from Seagrave carrying the number 2 on the side. In 1934 when station 3 opened yet another Seagrave pumper was placed into service along with a Seagrave Ladder Truck. This was the first ladder truck placed into service. In 1956 the department order a Mack pumper from Mack Inc thus turning the company from an all seagrave company. In 1967 a year before the department would become paid, the department ordered a Mack C pumper. As time goes on from 1968 and up there were more engines purchased along with four ladder trucks. All of these engines and ladder trucks were either sold or scrapped. The only piece that is left from the original fire department is the 1923 Seagrave pictured above.